Mambu is the leading SaaS core banking engine. If you’re a customer of the largest digital bank in the EU, then you’ve probably interacted with our platform and didn't even know it. We are at the heart of what makes digital banks and lenders work - the system that processes banking transactions and updates accounts and other financial records from deposits to loans and credit balances. But we are different. We are not just cloud-native, lean and flexible - we are helping to revolutionise financial services globally. We are in a growth phase and we’ve only just begun.
To help us on our mission, we bring together people with the best skills and attitude. It doesn’t matter where you are from, what matters is the impact you have and your passion to make a difference.
We are looking for passionate, skilled and enthusiastic leaders for our Product Areas, built of multiple teams that operate in a related product-space. As an Engineering Director you will work closely with the product management and tribe leadership to define objectives for your area, the “what” part of the story. Your full accountability will cover “how” we convert the objectives in concrete real products or practices.
You will be the direct people manager of engineering managers, principal engineers, technical product managers and other related roles and accountable for creating a great working environment that enables high autonomy, high alignment and streamlined product engineering process.
What you'll be working on:
1. Build a Product Area that can last by:
Ensuring product area has a clear mission, principles, goals that are aligned to the tribe direction and everyone from the area is onboard with them;
Ensuring compliance with architectural principles for delivered solutions;
Defining and acting (monitoring included) on quarterly team objectives to achieve team objectives, as agreed with Tribe Champion;
Ensuring each person fully understands their role/position and achieves the outcomes expected from them.
2. Ensure on-time delivery of services as per customer needs by:
Working closely with stakeholders (product management, architecture, commercial) to define area delivery roadmap;
Ensuring area roadmap successful delivery, on-time and in budget;
Making sure that area is equipped with the right people, skills and diversity to autonomously and successfully deliver on the roadmap and capabilities backlogs;
Ensuring customers and stakeholders are updated on expected delivery times for their needs and get constant updates;
Communicating news on time, to ensure there are no bad surprises.
3. Ensure that capabilities owned by the area match the highest quality and operability standards by:
Ensuring if the services delivered by the area match highest quality standards and are delivered following an interactive approach over the production readiness criteria;
Constantly reviewing operational metrics and ensuring the right actions are implemented on time, to avoid incidents and speed up response & recovery times;
Ensuring if all services and capabilities match our agreed SLAs. Defines operating objectives and monitoring indicators for all the services in the area, to match the SLAs;
Constantly adapt validation stages to the evolution of the area and the organisation for relevance, efficiency and effectiveness qualities.
4. Find a way of working that enables teams’ high autonomy, high alignment by:
Ensuring architecture and ways of working enables each team to autonomously design, build, test, deploy and run(monitor, observe) their own capabilities;
Defining and applying modern engineering practices to enable team autonomy and alignment to our way of working;
Ensuring all teams evolve by adopting modern practices to achieve their goals: pair programming, test-driven development, continuous delivery etc;
Ensuring all teams are constantly identifying impediments and applying ways to overcome them.
5. Provide constant growth and clear career path for people by:
Ensuring that every person in the area has a clear and ambitions growth path;
Creating, together with other areas and tribe leads, grading/promotion process that ensures Tribe wide consistency, while ensuring fair and motivating compensation;
Establishing holistic coaching and mentorship principles and ensure each team member receives fair & just-in-time feedback;
Facilitating relevant learning and skills growth for each person (training, conferences, learning materials, mentors etc.);
Integrating an efficient onboarding process for new colleagues in the area, ensuring each new member is aligned to our values, culture and plans are aligned with the team they are part of.
6. Ensure that area capacity & skills are ahead of needs by:
Defining recruiting strategies to acquire new skills or create capacity to satisfy business needs, longevity, skills diversity, attrition mitigation and competitiveness at area level;
Coordinating internship programs to grow and attract talent;
7. Enable internal and external communication channels by:
Establishing the right communication channels and constantly communicating;
Ensuring all people inside the area have constant access to the information they need, both from inside the area and around the Tribe, product and company;
Represent & advertise Mambu during internal/external events;
Ensuring the area has speakers at meet-ups ups, conferences to advertise Mambu, in order to attract talent and contribute to the community.
You need to have:
- Background in engineering and 8+ years of experience in leadership role, with impact over multiple teams;
- Strong leadership skills, in regards to establishing trust, transparency and achieving goals;
- Solid hands on background in software engineering and operations that enables a smooth streamlined process for delivering value;
- Strong people management skills, able to understand people ambitions and align them to organization needs and offer constant guidance and feedback for achieving them;
- Ability to identify roles for accomplishing needs, defining talent acquisition practices, hiring plans and acting on it;
- Expertise in suggesting and implementing changes based on “connecting the dots” on things that come up repeatedly to find elegant solutions for them in close collaboration with the teams;
- Capacity to maintain stable performance and can-do attitude when under pressure or stress;
- Excellent written and verbal technical and personal communication skills in English.
- Self Motivated and you can to set goals and work independently according to the objectives;
- Clear Communicator able to communicate clearly, with respect and empathy;
- Creative. You solve problems, and you are curious to try something new and look at things with fresh perspective;
- Learner vs. Knower attitude; driven by curiosity and desire to find the truth, not afraid to make mistakes and not to be always right.
- Honest. Integrity is part of your nature.
- Ability to simply explain complex concepts and deliver difficult messages clearly